Saturday, May 25, 2019

Reading is my window : books and the art of reading in women's prisonsReading is my window : books and the art of reading in women's prisons by Megan Sweeney
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book builds much on her previous work, The Story Within Us . (Several of the women interviewed in that work were featured in this one.)The women, considering their circumstances, articulated their opinions soundly. The discussion and interview process edified Sweeney and the prisoners:"... I was buoyed by the realization that it meant a great deal, to some women, to be greeted by a friendly face who cared about them and considered their thoughts and stories important enough to record (Sweeney 249)." I think many individuals ought to read this book to gain knowledge and empathy for those incarcerated. 


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment