Friday, March 13, 2020

Billie Holiday: Wishing On The MoonBillie Holiday: Wishing On The Moon by Donald Clarke
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I appreciated the meticulous research that Clarke presents in this biography. I think the negative reviews come from people who aren't deeply fascinated with Lady Day. Clarke proves compassionate towards her and reveals that she experienced far more joy than most of us imagine when we think of her. It disappointed me that so many of her associates didn't rate her as intelligent. To have such innate skill and not come equipped with intelligence, that's disparaging. I knew she hadn't received much formal schooling but I thought she would have been perceived as smart. One of her friends, however, did admit that she had plenty of mother wit.

I would urge anyone with a curiosity or fascination about Billie Holiday to read this biography.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment