Thursday, December 26, 2019

The Big Feminist BUT: Comics about Women, Men, and the IFs, ANDs & BUTs of FeminismThe Big Feminist BUT: Comics about Women, Men, and the IFs, ANDs & BUTs of Feminism by Shannon O'Leary
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My main complaint lies in the fact that these comics were drawn only in black and white. I don't enjoy comics half as much when color has been abandoned. I remember three women: MariNaomi, Kristina Collantes, and Angie Wang, who seem to be the only Asians represented.

I did laugh at Beth Lisick's strip, a pleasant introduction to her work. I would have been doubly disappointed if Vanessa Davis and Gabrielle Bell had not been included. I am surprised at the fact so many older voices were not included. Could you imagine Mimi Pond and Lynda Barry sharing their perspectives on feminism? The fact that those two women lived during the second wave of feminism and have lived to see the third and fourth incarnations would have provided a richness. It would've been glorious.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment