Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Good Talk: a memoir in conversations by Mira Jacob




 ** spoiler alert ** I value her perspective. But sometimes, I didn't like her response to a situation. A wealthy white lady named Bree hires her to write a book about her colonial ancestors. Bree admits that she was uncomfortable with Mira writing the book due to fears of plagiarism. If someone said that to me, it's time to leave. Bree invites Mira to lunch. Mira accepts. I don't get Mira's reasoning for going to lunch: "I wanted Bree to pay for it. I wanted my eating it to mean I was getting something for free (211)." Another moment is when her mother-in-law holds a dog party at her Florida home, some of the guests assume she's the help. Why didn't she say she's Lynda's daughter-in-law and let them serve themselves? I think she's too interested in politeness with strangers. 


rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment