Monday, September 14, 2020

Frida in America: The Creative Awakening of a Great Artist by Celia Stahr

                                                   


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In childhood and adulthood, Frida maintained a friendship with her sister Cristina. I think Cristina should have been mentioned far earlier in this book.(Frida painted Cristina in 1928.) Although the affair between Cristina and Diego tarnished Frida's psyche, Stahr wrote as if Matilde ( her mother and her elder sister shared the name) and Frida had a deeper relationship. 

I wish more photographs and paintings from Frida and Diego had been included. Many people will read this book who aren't overly familiar with Frida. There can never be too many photographs.


I am a Frida lover. Still delighted I read this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment