Thursday, February 28, 2019

American Like Me: Reflections on Life Between Cultures edited by America Ferrera

American Like Me: Reflections on Life Between CulturesAmerican Like Me: Reflections on Life Between Cultures by America Ferrera
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I didn't anticipate enjoying this tome so much. I bought it for school as a required text. Usually, required texts make me frown and resent the money spent. This book can be treasured in any circumstance. Many of these people aren't A-listers but notable nonetheless. I enjoyed Uzo Aduba's essay the most. I relished her insights into Nigerian culture and how it contrasts with her perception of New England. I am half Nigerian and all I know about Nigeria comes from book knowledge. I also appreciated Anjelah Johnson-Reyes' piece about wanting to be more chola. Why do privileged people feel they need to be more rugged? Thankfully, every contributor has reached a place of satisfaction with his or her self.

A blessing to read!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment