Saturday, December 3, 2016

Returning to my first love

It gives me great pleasure to say that I completed three books this week. I completed in the order listed: 
Sex Advice From...by nerve.com 
The Greatest Album Covers of All Time by Barry Miles, Grant Scott and Johnny Morgan
My New New York Diary: a film-book by Julie Doucet and Michel Gondry

The first two books exceeded 200 pages while the last book didn't reach 100 pages. This week's reading fit what I call "mess around" books. None of them demanded deep concentration. Yet, The Greatest Album Covers introduced me to collaborations and musicians of which I hadn't been aware. As much as I love jazz, I didn't know Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong had an album together.( I am not too surprised; a clear voice and a trumpet would sound magical.) Nor did I know Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins had paired on an album. I thought the brilliant Thelonious Monk wouldn't be willing to share the marquee. I stand corrected. As for the discoveries, I learned about the singers Francoiz Breut and Lil' Louis. They're both solo artists. Francoiz's voice sounds sweet and light. She would need few instruments so that she isn't overpowered. Lil' Louis seems to be more of a producer.

The two posts below feature Francoiz Breut and Lil' Louis respectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment